Monday, October 29, 2012

Project: baby room

Before: 

Ugly paint color. Sickly yellow green that is reminiscent of baby poo. Kind of dark even in the light of day. Piles of things I've been accumulating.

Corner of my own stuff


Bookshelf with kid/picture books and all my YA books
Ugh, seriously, that paint color!

*

Important intermediate steps: 
Organize everything we bought and were given, into a few clear bins
Put crib together
Pile soft things in crib
Pile bins and other things around the crib in the middle of the room


*

Getting started:
We found a cheap edger tool at Walmart and figured it was worth a try. DUDES, it was so awesome. I've done a lot of painting in my day, and a lot of taping and tedious edgework. This eliminates all of that, for under five bucks. Swipe and bam, edge is done!


My mom was here for two days to help paint and other things. My dad brought down some furniture this afternoon. Mister M's parents sent his old Winnie the Pooh wall hangings. I like how this room became a family affair. :)

*

After:
New, bright paint: Behr Breath of Spring, one gallon
Bins of clothes and supplies on dresser (I bought that dresser back in...2003? 2004? and it's been in storage at my dad's since) (Clothes will be washed and put into dresser, after we try to fix a piece under the top drawer)
Crib holding stuffed animals and blankets (temporarily! unsafe crib environment blah blah)
Two FERLE rugs from IKEA
Wooden rocking chair from the 1970s, and so comfortable
We bought some cute curtains but need the rod/hardware to put them up



The pile of my things are still there (and maybe inside the closet as well...). Will have to figure out what to do with that stuff, but that can wait. 

I am really happy with how it looks, and that it's basically set up and the big stuff is ready to go. We still need to buy a few little things and set up a changing table station on top of the dresser, and figure out where to store supplies.

But what a HUGE difference from before, and that is such a HUGE relief. Yay!

1 comment:

jelly andrews said...

Wow! Good job! Two thumbs up for this one.