Friday, February 08, 2008

Smithsonian Blew My Mind Today

Apparently orcas are dolphins, not whales!

Is this common knowledge? How did I not know this?

I had to share with the Herd this afternoon, and at least one smartypants kid shouted out, "I knew that!" (No really, he's really smart. I'm not surprised he knew something like that.)

Later, when the kids were practicing writing biographies, I was circling and checking, you know, as I am wont to do. This little boy (and I do mean little, he's my height when I'm sitting down!), who's below level but tries so hard, had written a paragraph with some things out of order. And so my reaction before I vocalize anything was, "Oh oh oh!" or somesuch. (I tend to be a bit overdramatic with these things. You're not surprised, are you?) And he echoed me quietly, "Oh oh oh." The girl across the desk giggled and I suppressed my own to give him a Look. He goes, "oh, my bad." Hee! Adorable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what, when I first read this here I was like "I did not know that!" But then I remembered that orcas are Killer Whales, and I've always known that they aren't really whales. So somehow I never really put it together that Shamu is a dolphin.