Thursday, March 06, 2008

Great Debates

So I have plenty of time where I don't work--ie, the whole day after school is over--but days like today make up for it. I worked solidly from 7.30 until almost 3.30. On my two preps I graded papers and snacked. Perhaps this is why I keep forgetting what day it is. Most of the day I thought it was Wednesday (is it? oh crap), and driving home I would have sworn it was Friday.

This week I've gotten a bit behind on homework, because my classes increased by nearly fifty percent, and also because there's been 98% of the assignments turned in. (Yay!) That means each pile is nearly one hundred papers. (Boo.) By the end of the day I was caught up to yesterday's, but then I gave a quiz, so I've got two piles waiting for me at school. Bleh. I'll catch up during the Big You Know What next week.

Anyway, we've been discussing newspaper editorials, so I've been having the kids write some editorials about issues close to their hearts--but with a twist. They had to write for both sides of the argument. First was about candy and soda in schools, and next was whether homework should be assigned every night. There are some very amusing bits and pieces from them, so I thought I'd share some with you!

"First of all kids do enough work at school and when they get home they are tired and they just fell like laying down and watching some tv and playing some video games. They also feel like laying down on the couch and reading a book. That is why I think kids should not get home work every night."

"I also think that we shouldn't get homework every night because when we get a lot of homework teachers act like there's never a tomorrow. And by the way I'm sorry for what I just said but it's the truth."

"Homework always makes you aware of things that can happen in the real world, and when you get older.
...
Homework just makes us knowledgeable. Homework isn't really a problem, because it is easy easy as a matter of fact. Sometimes it's even fun. The trick is, is to focus and pay attention in class because the homework you get is related to the classwork."

"Also is that we might have a stomach ace or a headace then our head would hurt more because they are thinking about when they would have time to do there homework."

"Yes you will learn more stuff. You will pass tests. You will be smart."

"Also some kids won't do it and fail. So why give us homework if they know we won't do them. It is something we all hated as a child so why not break the cycle. Bad enough we even go to school."

"Sometimes when you see people walking down the street that look like a complete failuer you ask your self why is that man like that, did he achieve or reach the goal of college. does he have a job or did he do any thing in school. To get the grade you gotta get the points you have to put the effort, in classwork and HOMEWORK."

"Teachers usually give us homework based on what we learned in class that day.They don't want us to forget or fail (which to me is very generous). :)
For me if I don't get homework every week I'll 95% forget what I did even the day before. I mean I hardly even remember what I did yesterday (what did i do yesterday?). Yes, sometimes teachers go hard on us with homework but I suppose they don't (at least not all) do it to be mean (I hope)."

"Another lethal issue with homework is that some kids crack and lose their mentality."

And my favorite:

"I'm sure teachers hate paperwork. And if they were in our shoes. They would regret switching shoes. Having paperwork as homework. IF TEACHERS HATE PAPERWORK WHY GIVE IT AWAY!"

3 comments:

X said...

Those are impressive! I like the voice and the humor.

NCavillones said...

OMG. So funny. I was literally LOL.

hangzhou7906 said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 工作总结 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 比赛演讲 征文演讲 节日演讲 演讲技巧 方案制度 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 销售方案 培训方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 材料大全 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 模板范例 技巧经验 工作计划 工作规划 年度工作计划 学校工作计划 个人工作计划 财务工作计划 团委工作计划 工会工作计划 单位工作计划 德育工作计划 教学工作计划 班主任工作计划 党支部工作计划 先教活动 整改措施 剖析材料 反腐倡廉 三农问题 和谐社会 三个代表 八荣八耻 先进性教育 党团工会 党团知识 党员相关 党会发言 党性分析材料 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 公文写作 板报设计 办公表格 谈判技巧 外贸信函 公文 秘书 广告启事 通知 求职指导 求职信 自荐信 简历封面 简历模板 简历范文 简历制作 英文简历 面试技巧 学术论文 企业文化 毕业论文 经济工作 财经金融 城建环保 教育教学 工矿企业 党政司法 合同 合同知识 买卖合同 承包合同 投资合同 招标合同 建设工程 劳动合同 运输合同 房屋合同 借款合同 销售合同 租赁合同 保险合同 其它合同 秘书 述职报告