Friday, September 07, 2012

Leg 3: Illinois

 
Driving out of Ohio in the morning was pretty. We hit Indiana.

 Nothing much there but corn. 

In Illinois we saw our first wind turbines. They are so pretty and elegant! Plus so good for the environment. Well done, states who have lots of wind turbines in their fields!

Speaking of fields, as you probably know, this has been a terribly hot and drought-ridden summer throughout the bulk of the US, especially the parts that are covered in corn and soybean fields. The soybeans were still pretty green, but most of the corn was dying or totally dead. Here's my cousin showing a stunted, dried ear from the field across the street.

 

We spent two nights with my aunt and cousins, hanging out and talking. Got to know the four boys that my cousins have--they are great kids, and wow, they are a handful! 

I also finished the baby sweater I began in July at my other aunt's house in Illinois. I'm going to say it again, because it's that big of a deal. I FINISHED A SWEATER! It's tiny and full of mistakes (it's supposed to be long-sleeved, for one), but I finished the damn thing! This is a huge milestone in my crafting 'career'! 

This is not necessarily for one of mine; I don't even know how big a baby this would fit. Oh, and this was the first time I had to pick up stitches to create cuffs--that made me nervous, but Mister M's mom is a knitter and she helped teach/talk me through it when we were there at the weekend. 

Anyway, having two different sets of family rest time on our roadtrip was wonderful.

No comments: