Wednesday, November 02, 2011

to blog or not to blog

That's been a question at the back of my mind for a few months now.

One of my goals for 2011 was to post something here at least once a week. Which I did, for over half the year. Though, many of the posts were lacking in meaningful content...I guess I was trying to cultivate a habit?

Sidebar: It really bugs me when someone writes, "New blog up today!" Blog=blog post. You most certainly did not create an entirely new blog on the internet today; you wrote a post on your existing blog. /end mild rant.

Remember that this thing began as a geocities site eleven years ago when I did my summer abroad. For the next couple years, I rambled about who knows what. Then there was AmeriCorps--full of adventures and excitement (both positive and negative) ripe for the telling. Finally, I moved to New York and started teaching. Back then, when no one was reading, this was a great way for me to reflect and record my lessons, student behavior, whatever random shit was floating through my mind. There was a clear purpose, a clear intent, and plenty of material; it was more a matter of time and effort to type it all out.

But now...most of the time I can't think of anything to say. In fact, here is an entire post about not knowing what to post about. There is no material, no purpose, and I'm not sure if there's an effort.

It's November 2nd, the second day of the annual 30-day writing challenge. Technically I could try doing the bloggy version and see if I can dredge up a new life for this dusty e-tome. We'll see.

2 comments:

Nancy Cavillones said...

If you really want to keep blogging, maybe it would help to not think of your blog as a place to provide updates on your life (that is what FB is for, right?), but instead, as a forum for sharing your ideas about things that are important to you...imagine a deep/heated conversation at a cocktail party or something and bring that here. I'm always interested in what you think and your ideas. Also, taking my blog private was really freeing for me..even though I haven't written much since then, I feel less self-conscious and less worried about what people think. Also, I don't think you should feel pressure to blog everyday...youre not writing this for profit, after all. Just write when the mood seizes you.

Nacho Lover said...

This is a good point--I think this has often been a place for updating more than contemplating or debating.

But if I only write when the mood strikes...it's empty for months at a time! :) And I'm not sure if I have very many ideas or thoughts. These are good things to keep in mind though, and I will try to comb my brain for more thoughtful material. I did come up with a list of post ideas, though a lot of them are updatey. I'll work to push deeper.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas, on this post and over the years. :)