Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Trying to Forget the Anger by Posting Cute

The beginning of my day was enjoyable: four of my students made it to the school spelling bee, and one of our girls came in third place! Eighth-graders placed first and second, so it's especially impressive. And when she did well, the class cheered and hollered so loudly in support, and it was mostly the boys! It was so sweet that I nearly teared up.

Last week or so, my afternoon class girls entered my room all cackly/giggly: "Miss, we know something about you!!!"
Me: "Okay..."
Girl 1: "You have a boyfriend!"
Girls 1, 2, 3, 4: [squeal and giggle]
Me: [trying not to smile] "And where did you hear this?"
Girl 1: "Ms downstairsteacher told us!"
Girl 2, with a sudden inspiration: "Hey, is it that skinny guy on the fourth floor?"
Girl 4 to Girl 2: "No way, Miss can do way better than that!"
Me: [laughing quietly]

Sometime last month, we were discussing our class book. There was an extended metaphor about a canker sore and a character's dislike of another character. Just to make sure we were all on the same page about understanding this passage, I asked the class, "Who can tell us what a canker sore is?"

And this boy immediately piped up confidently, "A kind of dinosaur!"

I had to cover my face and just laugh. Oh boy, these kids.

2 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Canker sore = dinosaur? Priceless!

X said...

Maybe this makes me a jerk, but now I want to know what you're angry about. Hope you are okay! Hope the weather is nice in your neighborhood today too. :)