Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sadly Misinformed

Last weekend, while Boyfriend and I were exploring Old Ironsides, this lady was corralling her tour group. She pointed to somewhere across the way, and called out, "Over there, everyone. We're conjugating in the parking lot. Let's go, come on. Conjugating over there." etc etc.

Boyfriend and I froze, and looked at each other, then burst out laughing.

What made it worse was that her students were mimicking her and making fun of the language. So she goes, "Come on, I'm trying to get you to college with a good vocabulary!"

Boyfriend and I then looked at each other in horror.

Oh, dear.

1 comment:

fillyjonk said...

I'm a biologist.

"Conjugating" means bacterial "sex" in the biologist's world.

Don't know if any of the students knew that, but it made me laugh...

but yeah, that's pretty horrifying. If I had been a kid in that class I might have put up my hand and said, "Miss? Do you mean 'congregating'?"

I could be a little pedant at times, even as a child.