Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I feel old.

The other day we happened upon a rerun of the gymnastics Olympics trials. I recognized not a single competitor, but I did recognize one girl's coach/dad as a famous Soviet (male) gymnast from the 80s and 90s. Then someone's score came up and it was 15 something! Fifteen! What the hell? Why do they have to change everything? What was wrong with the scoring system that's been in place for the last fifty years?! You don't suddenly see baseball making home runs worth two points or something crazy! Argh.

I watched a shitload of stand up on Comedy Central from the weekend. I recognized one guy's name, and though he didn't really look familiar I looked him up. Sure enough, he went to the same high school I did, and I'm pretty sure he was the long-haired silent kid who was after me on the school bus route. Crazy.

This afternoon I just noticed another white hair---IN MY EYEBROWS.

Oy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, I remember going to Southern Connecticut State College (College, not University, that's what it was way back then) and watching the relatively strong men's gymnastics team (there was this one guy, named Mario McCallum or McCutchin or something like that) play various D1 schools. It was fun. One day we came to watch, Nebraska was in town. All tow-headed little men. I think there was one, Bart Connor? Do I have the right name/team?

Anyway, they were RIGHT THERE, just feet away, and they were sooo good.

I checked on Wikipedia. Connor was the right time, maybe a year or two too early, but wrong school: Oklahoma. Kurt Thomas was also the wrong school, right time (Indiana State). It also says SCSC was D2 champion a bunch of times in the '70s, so visits by strong sides make sense.

Who was the guy for Nebraska? I looked up Peter Kormann, turns out he was men's coach at Navy, who showed up from time to time at Southern... hmm, this is going to bother me (until my eyebrows turn white)

Jonathan

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

White hair? Your on your way to the age of wisdom!

17 (really 15) more years said...

YOU feel old- egads, what the hell should I say then!

Those pesky white hairs have a nasty habit of popping up in the darndest places- and it only gets worse.

East Coast Teacher said...

How about when the little kid you baby-sat when you were 14 (and he was 2. 2!) graduates from high school this year?

Ugh.

And I feel you on the gray hair.