Friday, May 19, 2006

My Wee Small Engineering Adventure

Plop!....Plop!....Plop!Plop!....Plop!Plop!Plop!....Plop!....Plop!Plop!

This was the sound of raindrops splattering onto my air conditioning unit, beginning at four a.m., as well as the gradual cracking of my sanity.

For the next hour, I alternately tried to ignore it, sing along to it, wait it out, and invent solutions to it. By five, I just couldn't take it anymore. So I got up and went to take a look. Mostly I was afraid of me opening the window and seeing the unit fall five stories and shattering, then me having to explain and buy a new one. And me, I am broke-ass and not about to buy a damn thing that's not food.

However, that problem was delayed when the window would not actually open, because the unit was screwed into the actual window frame. Hm.

But I was just too exasperated and exhausted, so I got my screwdriver and unscrewed the three screws, carefully. And nothing fell out, thank goodness. I easily lifted the window, and still nothing fell off the ledge. Phew!

I placed an old shirt on top of the a-c unit. Hm, still noisy. A dishtowel on top of that? Nope. Look around, ho-hum...ah, yes, extra bath towel. Fold it up, place it on top--perfect. I waited and watched the big drops pound the towel, hoping that they wouldn't pile up and make more noise. But it seemed to work, easily muffling the sounds. Hurrah!

I closed the window, rescrewed the screws, and fell back into bed, and blissful sleep.

No comments: