Sunday, December 10, 2006

Good Teacher!

Y'all know that I loathe taking work home, so I never do. I'm a lazy person, but I also get nearly all or all of my grading done at school. Which means I don't have to take anything home. Neat!

The one thing I do have to do at home, which I actually don't mind, is inputting grades. I enjoy data typing for some reason, and it makes me feel better knowing that I am providing students and parents with feedback at times other than just report card day. Of course, whether or not the parents actually get the progress reports is another issue.

So tonight, Sunday night, I just spent over an hour updating 2nd quarter grades for my two lower classes. I printed out the class grades and individual progress reports for every student currently or in danger of failing. Tomorrow I will make them sign for it and tell them to return it the next day.

I will do my best to email or call parents to let them know the progress reports are coming. Again, I favor eliminating excuses by heading them off.

So I'm feeling like a good teacher for once. I believe that will be a fleeting feeling, considering that I have not made specific plans for the week (actually, that's not true; I mapped out some stuff last week, I just haven't typed it into my official template page), and also that it's test prep time, which means I always feel like I'm not doing enough and constantly running out of time and patience.

But for right now, things are okay, because I feel productive. For once.

And now I'm off to watch the Amazing Race finale, and I hope to not think anymore about school until tomorrow morning. (Teacher thoughts invading nighttime is a whole other post.)

No comments: