Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Woo--Got through the first day!

Not everything went perfectly with the schoolwide organization, but I suppose that's always the case, right? Especially with as many new folks as we have.

Though I was nervous and very anxious before each new class came in, I did well. We got through the first-day things I wanted to (professionalism and welcome letter, mostly), and there are plenty of things to cover for probably the next two days. I still haven't planned beyond that, but there are vague ideas floating around my head that I hope to pin down and record soon.

My classes this year have high test scores (mostly 3s), but are also resource classes. (Perhaps that tells you how realistic and valid those f%^&ing test scores are, GOVERNMENT.) There are at least two students that don't speak English. I'm not really sure how or when I find out what students need/have what services, but I hope it's soon. In the past, I'm ashamed to say that I've basically ignored the ELLS, because they were out of my room so often and had another teacher. It's hard for me to figure out how to reach those ones while still keeping the rest occupied and challenged (and I don't even do that that well all the time!), so it will certainly be another challenging goal for me this year.

At the end of the day, I was relieved to have the first day out of the way, hopped up on adrenaline, and also dismayed to realize that the days will only get tougher, as the kids (and their behavior issues) come out of their new-school shells.

But! I am really going to try to be positive and patient this year. Please feel free to kick me if I get into too much of a funk, because I want to change and get better in interacting with and planning for the students.

Hope everyone's first day back was a good one!

No comments: