Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ringing in the first week of the new year

Most importantly, that it's almost over. Phew!

The night before last I didn't sleep, and last night I slept maybe half the night, so getting through today was rather tough. I'm hoping my brain will finally shut its stupid yap enough to let me rest a full night tonight.

Along with every other teacher, I was sort of dreading the return to school life. Who really wants to start getting up and acting like an adult again? Not me, that's for sure.

Happily, though, it's gone well. I was pleasantly surprised that yesterday the kids were not insane and ready to learn. Or at least review. (EIGHT DAYS AND COUNTING, PEOPLE!) And guess what, I finished grading the written tests from December's post-test, and nearly all the kids improved! I was so relieved, and surprised, and a little thrilled. The kids were too.

I've been grilling them this week about being specific versus vague. (Which is interesting, because none of them knew what 'vague' meant and most of them can't pronounce 'specific.')(Obviously, now they do and they can!) Next week we'll be taking one more practice writing test and I hope they will use that to do even better.

-

This weekend I get to meet up with two awesome flickr friends! Very excited!

No comments: