Thursday, December 31, 2009

This Year

This might have been up there for the most tumultuous of years for me. I can't believe it's over. Is this what grown ups mean by the time passing so quickly without you realizing it?

Things that happened this year:
--I was fired. This scared the hell out of me, but it was also a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I learned that being that miserable is never worth it, and that my sanity has to come first.

--I told myself I was out of teaching for good.

--I got to work in photography. This is the most exciting development of the year. I have done a lot of freelance work for the local paper, as well as some wedding-related photography.

--I subbed in charter schools. Some I had a good time, some was not so good. Mostly I was glad to have a little money coming in again.

--My boyfriend was supportive, emotionally and financially.

--I decided to take another teaching job.

--I went upstate twice, once to the west to visit a good friend and once with the boyfriend to the Catskills. I went home to Seattle once. I went home with the boyfriend to visit his family for the holidays. (Which was lovely and quiet. His parents are so nice. Plus they have an adorable kitty!)

--We moved into a fantastic apartment!

--I became an elementary teacher. It has been very stressful and very busy and I am starting to question it. I don't think I'm doing a good enough job, and it bothers me that I'm letting the kids down, while giving myself too much of a burden. I can't keep up with the lesson planning, so my lessons aren't very good. My class can be really disrespectful to one another--stealing things (bigger than pencils), calling names. But they are awesome in assemblies and on field trips--interested and fairly polite. A few of my students like me. I need to get better at being in contact with parents.

I never really know what a year will bring, because I can't plan for the future. But I would never have predicted any of the things that ended up happening. I guess that means it has been an adventure? :) I have been able to spend some quality time with family and friends, though, and I hope that continues well into the next decade! I thank any of you who have been reading what I sporadically post, and the support, and friendship, even if it's only virtual (so far). :)

I have more posts in my head, about goals for next year and even a decade in review like Ms M and Nancy. All the best to you all this new year! Stay safe tonight!

No comments: