Wednesday, October 31, 2012

33 weeks

Well. It finally happened.

I hit a big number. Two of them, in fact.


50 pounds gained. 


I now weigh 200 pounds.

These are both large numbers. Round numbers that look menacing.

But then I take a breath. There are two fetuses in there, with all their accompanying fluids and support organs (plus the amount of blood actually doubles in a woman carrying twins, versus an increase of 1.5 with a singleton), and 50 pounds so far can't be that bad. And I can look at myself (well, not physically; I can't even see my belly button, but I do have a mirror) and can see that I'm not a huge fat person-blob. I really don't look like I weigh that much (see above!), which tells the rational part of my brain that all is fine. Then of course I have to remember that I/they are not done growing yet, so I'll will probably hit 60 pounds gained, if not more.

My doctor hasn't said anything about the number of pounds at all. She says everything is still going great, in fact. I'm really hoping that these two will stay in there and keep growing for awhile.

In other news, I think I have hit the wall in terms of comfort in the last week or so. Pretty much anytime I'm upright and moving, something hurts or aches. The lower backache is pretty much constant. There's also a weird ache/pressure in my pelvis or somewhere, which hurts the most when I get up after sitting. It's got to be pretty hilarious to watch, as I struggle to standing and then waddle-limp tiny steps. In the morning is the absolute worst; I push up sideways so I'm sitting on the bed, and then stand up. I stay there for a minute and rotate my hips a bit, but then I have to move, and I can barely put weight on at least one of my legs (ache/pressure/joint pain in my lower back/hip). I wobble across the room to the bathroom and by then it's better.

Not very fun.

Additionally, in the last few days I've noticed that I think I'm getting Braxton-Hicks contractions any time I'm up/walking for more than a couple seconds. They don't hurt, but they aren't comfortable either. 

I still have no classic heartburn, which seems kind of miraculous when I talk to other pregnant ladies. Sounds like they can't eat a lot of things or a lot of volume. I seem to be able to eat plenty still. A couple times I do get some kind of acid-y feeling around my belly, but not up above it where heartburn/reflux would be. I have some acid reducer that seems to help, so maybe it's indigestion? Also the occasional vomit burp...which seem to be getting a little more frequent.

Last week I realized that I can't sit up straight, because my belly hits my thighs.

I have to take big deep breaths or sighs randomly to get in more air. Even just sitting on the couch. I swear that last night while trying to go to sleep I felt like I wasn't getting enough breath through just my nose.

Sleeping has been a little difficult since early summer, but it's the worst it's been now. It still takes several moments and a series of small movements to turn over. The last few days, that wakes me up enough to realize I need to get up and go to the bathroom. Which then wakes me up even more and sometimes I can't go back to sleep easily.

My belly button seems to be all on the outside, though I'm sure it has farther to go to pop out even more. You can see it through my top in that photo!

A week or two ago, I noticed that I'm starting to get faint stretch marks around my belly button. I'm disappointed about it, and I'm disappointed that I feel disappointed, if that makes sense. I know that there's nothing to be done, and that it happens all the time, and it's genetic. Nonetheless, I feel a little sinking sadness whenever I see it. I have started applying the Trofolastin twice a day now too, to see if I can hold off on further development. (I bought another tube last week--it's back on Amazon now, and the shipping was really fast!) I guess it's a vanity issue, one more thing I didn't want 'marring' me.



In sum, things are uncomfortable. I know that it won't get any better, it will probably get worse, maybe a lot worse. However, I'm really not complaining much--I still have had no complications, no problems, and overall things have gone so well. Everything could be so much worse. I'm doing my best to accept that it's not going to feel good for the next few weeks. That's not a bad trade-off if the babies are healthy and growing.

Really hoping that all continues to go well physically so that these two can keep cooking for up to five more weeks. And holy cow, FIVE WEEKS is not very many weeks! Making it to at least 36 weeks would be fantastic...except that that's only THREE weeks away, holy shit! End of November is still my goal, though 38 weeks (the longest I'll be allowed to go) would go into the first week of December. As long as possible is great by me!

3 comments:

Lawn Mower Queen said...

I enjoy reading your updates! I'm 38 weeks, but with just a singleton. My dad's a twin though, so there's always a chance the next one will actually be two.

We've been pretty lucky too. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things keep going well for all five of you!

Nancy Cavillones said...

Looking at the sideview picture, holy moses, no wonder your lower back hurts!! Have you been using anything to hold up your belly? Hang in there!! You look fantastic, even if you don't feel it.
Also, I don't know if you are still drinking a lot of water but that can help with Braxton-Hicks, if you aren't.

Nacho Lover said...

Thank you, LMQ! Best of luck to you in your last two weeks!

@Nancy--nah, no support belts. I got one and have put it on a couple times and it doesn't seem to do much. And I go back and forth on drinking enough water...must get better about it again. :/