Sunday, February 26, 2006

Denial is sweet, but dull

School? Work? What's that?

On Friday, I watched three movies on the plane. On Saturday, I watched at least a movie and a half. I also left my apartment briefly, for the bank and grocery store. Today, I have watched FOUR movies. Oh, and take a two-hour nap. Awesome.

I am actually bored. But way not bored enough to do lesson planning or class research or even work out. Nope, my lazy ass just wants to relax and finish my vacation and pretend I don't have to turn into teacher-me again in less than twenty-four hours.

Here's an anecdote.

On the plane from Amsterdam to New York, I was seated in the midst of what I'm pretty sure was a group of high-schoolers traveling to study in New York. Or vacation, or shop, or whatever. They were young and silly.

About halfway through the flight, the attendants came around with customs forms. You've seen them before; they are blue and small and you write your name and address and passport number and how much crap you have with you. Then you sign your name.

These Dutch teens took--no joke!--half an hour to complete this form (plus another green immigration(?) form). THIRTY MINUTES! Seriously!?

I couldn't help thinking that if you aren't intelligent or AWARE enough to fill out a simple form, then maybe your silly teen asses should not be entering this country. Honestly, that is a problem.

There were at least two "leaders" of this group. Both were men who wore loud yellow t-shirts and fanny packs (shudder!). These men were helping the girls fill in the forms. The instructions are given in English and possibly French. As we may know, English is very common and well-known in Holland. (Nearly all the signs in the Amsterdam airport were in English; many without Dutch translations.) So, even with the slight language barrier, but with a person translating for you, half an hour? To write your name and some numbers? Ridiculous! In-credible!

No comments: