Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Alarm Bells

Ringing everywhere--in the building, in my head, all over the place.

I
*ding*
don't
*ding*
like
*ding*
this
*ding*
school
*DONG!!*

I.
Want.
A.
New.
Job.
*DING!!*

Seriously, y'all. For the last week I have been looking at ads for completely non-teaching jobs. And it is scary and sad. Would I really leave education altogether? Would I get hired in this shit economy? I have one year-ish of office experience, I've volunteered a lot, I'm an expert filer (those two degrees really come in handy, I tell you). I love taking pictures but I don't know PhotoShop or any other alteration program. I make a mean caramel macchiato. Oh, and I can boss around preteens. Does that qualify me for anything?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been reading your blog for months now, and today's post really hit me. I read it and wondered if it were my own writing. I am a first year teacher, but everything you wrote is what has been swimming around my head for the past few weeks. It makes me sad to see myself looking at other careers, when teaching is what I have been wanting to do with my life for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and tell you thank you for writing out my own thoughts!

Jenna said...

online community manager - the experience with preteens is invaluable on the internet! Sadly, the reason I became a teacher was because this isn't an easy job to get. Living in NYC is a big help though.