Sunday, August 26, 2012

Leaving New York

We did it. 

 

It's over. 


 We're gone.

Moving day was a loooong day. We got up by 7 to work on some last minute stuff. Movers and POD arrived and got started by 9. They were done between 1230-1. Then we spent two-three hours cleaning up, bringing down trash, recycling, old furniture type stuff. It was probably too much for me, but jeez, I really had no choice, otherwise it would have taken even longer.
I loaded up the car--I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to keep with us, and it was a little too much. We did some photos/video of the empty apartment, and I teared up. Mister M returned our keys. We did a final run to Goodwill and then headed out for good at about530pm.
We drove down the main drag past our building again. "Useless Desire" played on shuffle, and I teared up some more. We'll never live there again; life will never be like this again. I'm sure I'll be back in NYC in the future, but I'll never be a resident, we won't have that amazing apartment and view (top photo), and it will feel different.

I've realized that it still doesn't feel real, that we're not going back. The next two weeks-ish of road trip are this kind of in-between/transition period, which could just as easily be a regular vacation. But at the end we'll be in a new house, and maybe then I'll start really getting used to our new reality. Until then I still seem to tear up thinking about this whole thing.













No comments: