Saturday, September 17, 2005

Rants and Photos

Grr, I tried to post a comment in reply to Fred and Memory, but the link won't work.

Sadly, the principal and his bigwig friend were not there to observe me OR the kids; they looked at the fucking room: my desk, the yet-to-be-sorted library, the artifacts. They seemed oblivious to the fact that actual TEACHING (well, story-telling, heh--but hey! that was the lesson!) going on in the room! They didn't appear interested in what I was doing, or what work the students were producing, they seemed to want to peruse the ROOM. Cause that's what measures good teaching and accurate learning. Gah.

Don't get me wrong; I really like and respect my principal. But this gestapo nonsense about posters and abbreviations and bulletin boards and rubrics is SUCH BULLSHIT! I hope I get to see a new mayor and chancellor of education--and a resulting new regime--while I'm still teaching in NYC. Otherwise, they're going to lose me to another state.

As much as I like to check out edWise, this is why I should avoid it; I have to keep myself ignorant of politics (schools, Iraq, hurricanes, all of it). I get irritated and worked up, and there's nothing I can do.

Anyway, I wanted to finally post the before and after pics. Yay!

When I got there two weeks ago...
















And Now....

Expect Excellence!
















I am in desperate need for filing systems. And a small bookcase/display for my personal books (those two milk crates).
That is a radiator doubling as a storage case. Did you know New Yorkers pronounce RADiator like RADical? I say it RAIDiator. Goofy New York.

1 comment:

Fred said...

Take a deep breath and count to 10.....

Nice - pics. A very warm learning environment is evident.

I'm a New Yawka by birth, so I totally get the pronunciation thing.