Thursday, September 21, 2006

So glad tomorrow's Friday

I really shouldn't have gone to school today.

First, though I went to bed at 10.30, I just really did not want to get up this morning. So, so tired. It feels like retribution for the other night when I didn't sleep at all. It does catch up with you!

The congestion has fully migrated from my head to my chest. Accordingly, the persistent dry cough of yesterday has now become a rattly-phlegm cough. In fact, this morning, I accidentally breathed in too deeply and disturbed the phlegm. And thus began a ridiculous fit of bent-over, coughing, hacking, gagging, choking. Dead sexy! During this enjoyable feast, I made my way to the bathroom, where I very nearly threw up. No dice, though. I guess that's a good thing?

So yeah, I was a little shaky beginning my day. Walking and standing were a bit of work at first.

Talking is another story. My voice was rough and scratchy, and very frog-like at times, when the phlegm was rising. (Wouldn't that be a fun story? "The Phlegm Also Rises!" Heh)

Ho hum, what did I actually do today? I know that I spent all of fourth and fifth in the book room. With the help of current and former students, the piles of math books are dwindling. Sadly, I keep finding more math books inside the room to re-stuff the pile.

I cleared another aisle, cleaned out a few boxes, organized some shelves, and found some great stuff. One was a whole box of books-on-tape and the books they go with--brand new. A bunch of "Beauty" and "Wanted," plus some Narnia books, some "Black Boy," and about fifteen old hardcovers of "The Hobbit."

In the classroom, today we started by reviewing the noun quiz of the other day. The scores really disappointed me! In two of my classes, there were only a handful of high numbers, and far too many low numbers.

We continued our work on friendly letters recommending books, and I introduced the family crest project. There was only time for them to start a brainstormed list of elements to include, and tonight they are to narrow it down to four items, and explain why each is significant to them. This will become a primitive four-square, and then it will become an essay. I think it will be easy for them to see why a new paragraph must begin, if they are discussing four concrete items. Let's hope so, anyway.

In October, we are apparently doing a myth/fable/fairy tale study, writing one (short story unit), and writing a compare/contrast essay. There are tons of stories to work from, and generally thinking about it, it could be a fun and diverse month of study!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you need a day, take a day. No sense coming in when you are feeling awful.

Anonymous said...

Your condition may have been caused by the condition of the book room. You need to see a doctor.

The same thing happened to me when I cleaned out our school's equipment room.

If you live in Queens, you can go to First Med on Woodhaven Blvd.
until you can get to see your own doctor. They are open every day.


BTW, have you checked the ELA scores for your school. The NY Times has a link to schools.

X said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so crappy! Ugh! I hope you don't get sick again for the rest of the year!