Sunday, January 25, 2009

memegank

I stole this interview meme. Forgive me, internet.



http://jamelah.net/blog1/

1. What’s your idea of a perfect date?

Errr...what does it say that this completely stumps me? Food and fun of some kind. Maybe some element of nature as well--stars, forest, sea.



2. What did you want to be when you grew up? Do you still want to be that?

For most of my growing-up life, I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. (I started gymnastics classes as a toddler.) I was wishy-washy and whiny, which as it turns out are not good ways to become excellent at any endeavor, let alone an athletic one requiring hours of painful practice. It wasn't a realistic goal or anything, it was just a shiny future dream that crashed when I realized, at around 13 or 14, that I was the same age as the elite gymnasts and I was most decidedly nowhere NEAR elite.



You know what, though? I still love gymnastics and feel a certain longing whenever I watch it.

I love to dance and tumble. A good running split leap feels like flying. (Or at least, I remember these things vividly, since I'm physically incapable of them anymore, in my old age.) So yes, a part of me does still want to be an Olympic gymnast.



3. If you had to pick up and leave tomorrow, what would you pack and where would you go?

As in just one place? To stay? Paris is my first instinct, because I love it. Although maybe the Greek Isles? I've never been, but I have a hunch that the sun, the sea and the colors would be extremely restorative for my tired and bitter soul.



[It's currently 3.45 in the morning. Please pardon the ridiculousness I've got going on here.]


4. If you could only eat three things for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Good caesar salad. Real bread with butter or Nutella. And....french fries? pickles? Cookie Crisp? Oh god, please don't make me do this.



5. What are your favorite song lyrics?

Well, I'm certainly singing Tori Amos in my head right now because of Jamelah's answer. And I do love that song. Or am I confused? I get Spark and Purple People mixed up in my head. (because I love them both and they're not on her regular albums.)



Speaking of Tori, this was a life-changing lyric for me:

"Winter"

When you gonna make up your mind?

When you gonna love you as much as I do?



I literally broke down when I heard this song and these lyrics for the first time, when I was a senior in high school. Something about self-esteem and family shit and independence and my place in the world and other introspective stuff.



Here's another one: "This Woman's Work" by Kate Bush (from the Felicity soundtrack)



I know you have a little life in you yet.

I know you have a lot of strength left.

I know you have a little life in you yet.

I know you have a lot of strength left.



I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.

I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking



Of all the things I should've said,

That I never said.

All the things we should've done,

Though we never did.

All the things I should've given,

But I didn't.



Oh, darling, make it go,

Make it go away.



Give me these moments back.

Give them back to me.



Driving on I-90 westward across Mercer Island, in early 2003. This song came on, one I'd heard many times since college. These plaintive, wistful lyrics hit me like a fist in the gut, and I doubled over in the driver's seat, sobbing. Out of nowhere. I think it was repressed grieving about the end of my AmeriCorps term. (Yes, you may roll your eyes.)



http://etceterablah.com/
1. In terms of career-path stuff, if you could do or try anything other than what you’re doing now, what would it be? Possibly acting. Even though I'm kind of shy, introverted and have terrible self-esteem, I love performing. Growing up I was in a few plays--not ever as anything more than the chorus/background, though, which I guess tells all of us my talent rank. This was my backup dream after I figured out gymnastics wasn't happening. It was, sadly, equally unrealistic.


2. What’s your favorite thing about yourself? What’s your least favorite thing about yourself? Interestingly, my answer to both is the same--ideas. I have great ideas. Big, creative, fun, strange ideas. However, either they are shot down by cohorts, are impossible, or I can't get my shit together to actually follow through on them. See above re: failed dreams and incompetence.


3. Who gave you the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten, and what was it?
I don't remember any real advice, or at least I don't remember anyone telling me Grand Pearls of Wisdom that stuck out.

What's funny is the truth I've found this year in a tagline we endlessly mocked six years ago: "There's no shame in your humanness."

I've had to face a lot of my humanness as I've become, somewhat unwillingly, an adult. It's not a pretty picture.


4. Speaking of advice, if you could go back in time and tell your teenage self anything, what would it be? Work harder in school! Also try not to be such a freaking weirdo. Make some real friends and figure out how to ignore the stupid shit, because just as you suspect, it really doesn't matter.


5. You can go anywhere in the world you haven’t already been. Where do you go and why? There are so many places on my list that I don't even have a list, because it would be depressing. Right now I'll say Peru, because I want to see Macchu Picchu and rainforests and the Andes. Plus it wouldn't be far--relatively speaking--to get to Patagonia, which seems breathtaking. (Thank you, Amazing Race.)



http://allthewine.wordpress.com/

1. Why have you chosen to be an anonymous blogger?

Fear, of course. Of being found-out, of being in trouble, of being mocked, of facing reality of, you know, real life.


2. What’s your dream job — the one you would love doing, even if you made no money doing it?

Travel photography! Duh.


3. What’s your favorite vacation destination?

I'm changing it up a bit for this one and will say Australia, because I adored what I saw and there's oh so much more to see. (You totally thought I was going to say Paris, didn't you? Yeah, so did I. I'm full of surprises. Except not really.)


4. Outside of the usual answers, like December or your birth month, what is your favorite month of the year, and why?

I might have said June, because school gets out, but do you remember June? It lasts FOR.E.VER. when you're waiting for school to get out. Plus, here in NY, it's hot and sticky and yuck blech.

So maybe I will go with August of my youth in Seattle. It's really warm but not humid or gross, the sun doesn't go down until like 10pm, there's Seafair for fun, and you can start thinking about back-to-school shopping for new clothes and school supplies.



5. What’s your favorite thing about Detroit?

Erm, that I've never been there? (That's what I get for shamelessly not playing by the rules of this meme.) The only thing I can think of is the Tigers. My ex-stepdad's friend was their trainer and sometimes we got amazing tickets (Kingdome!) when they came to play the Mariners, and he got us some signed swag (though I remain highly irritated that the trainer friend gave it to my brother, who was like nine and didn't know or give a crap about baseball).

No comments: