Friday, July 09, 2004

Three weeks!

It is already Friday of the third week of summer preservice training. Only three or four left to go!

So let's see. I was placed at an elementary school in St Albans, Queens, near Jamaica. I've been in a third-grade classroom. The first two days were testing and other boring things. Yesterday was actual instruction. Though some of the kids seem pretty bright and eager, the class still didn't get through hardly anything. They just kind of sat there. It was sad and frustrating at the same time.

I'm tired a lot, from getting up before 6.30. Today I got to sleep in until almost 7.30, because we have workshops that don't start until 9.30. Yay. After they are over, I'm going to the library on the way home. I am really excited about that. I just finished the third novel that I borrowed last Friday. Have I said lately how much I adore public libraries? I LOVE libraries. If more people embraced the idea of public libraries, I believe that the country would be a better place. Hello, free books? Knowledge there for the taking? Not to mention entertainment, with VHS and DVD movies. So I think that little trip will be the highlight of my weekend.

This week's homework load has actually been considerably less. It helps that I did all the reading that I was supposed to over the weekend. But I spent several evenings hardly doing anything productive. I don't watch nearly as much TV as I did when I was at home or first here. But now, since there are so few channels and so little time to actually watch it, I watch more silly shows than I ever have. And that is depressing.

Mm, sleepy. I should go get a beverage to tide me over during the workshops. Later, dudes.

No comments: