Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It is 4.42 in the morning!

It's been over a week now since my return to the States. I figured I would be jetlagged, but this is ridiculous. Every other night I crash for twelve to fourteen hours, and the in-between nights I can't sleep.

Last night I tried to go to bed at 12.30, but got up at 1.15. Back to bed at 3, brain started thinking about school, probably drifted off close to five. Alarm at 9.45 to move the car.

I did not go back to bed after this, thinking that missing out on sleep like that would tucker me out for the next night.

But I easily stayed up until three this morning, polishing off TWO chick-lit novels. After a shower and some flickr, I'm feeling more tired, but not sleepy.

Oh, and also? Four or five days before leaving Australia, my lower left eyelid developed a twitch. It got worse as our departure date came closer, and it was especially bad on the plane day home, but after my complete return it subsided. It flared once or maybe twice a day, and I thought it was gone. Ho, no siree. That twitch has been acting up a lot in the last day or two. And it's freaky. I can feel and also see it; it impedes my vision from the bottom up. It's like an involuntary upside down stuttering wink, sometimes for almost ten seconds at a time.

What the hell, dudes? I can't sleep and my FACE is TWITCHING. I'm a freak!

3 comments:

Nancy Cavillones said...

My eyelid does that, too, when I'm especially tired and stressed out. Lately, I've suffered occasional bouts of insomnia due to wedding anxiety. My cure? Xanax! Not that I'm endorsing dependence on prescription drugs but when my mind starts racing as soon as my head hits the pillow, nothing else will knock me out. You can also try valerian root tea. It will chill you out and help you sleep.

X said...

Would you be okay with being referred to as Twitchy McSnoozer until this is over?

Over here we like Bedtime from Yogi Tea. It has valerian, St. John's Wort, and a bunch of other stuff.

Ms M. said...

I have complete compassion for the no - sleep issue as I just returned from the other side of the world and have been only sleeping for 2 hours at a time...grrr.... hope it gets better!