Friday, October 29, 2004

Materialistic Impulses

I bought that digital camera today on my way home. Squee!! I am so excited. Tomorrow I am going to take pictures of everything--my house, my street, my school, my classroom--and post them.

Wow, phew, it's Friday. The week hasn't been too bad. Like I said, possibly my standards have gotten lower, and/or my skin has gotten tougher.

Each Friday is supposed to be test prep. Which is pretty intrusive when you're trying to move along on specific lesson themes. Anyway, today I had the students do one page set, a passage and then three questions. The passage was about a frontier woman and her life, so I did some explaining of mining and ghost towns and women's life. A lot of the students had chosen the wrong answers. When I reviewed the questions, I read the question out loud first and, before talking about the answer choices, I asked them to look back at the passage to find the answer. After we talked about the information in the passage, I went through the answer choices asking, does this one make sense? How about this one? Once I did that, the kids could chorus

My writing connection was summarization. I modeled writing a four-sentence summary of the passage. One sentence for the beginning, two for the middle, one for the end. I totally made that up, I have no clue if there is a "real" way to write a summary. I figured these kids need to see a structure, even if they don't know how to use it yet. The classwork was then to write a summary of the last book they read. I'm not sure if that part worked, but I gave it a shot.

I stayed for an hour after school reviewing writing notebooks, giving quick grades for classwork.
After I got home and set up my new tech toy (ee!), I marked off homework and the four square quiz and put in all the new numbers into that super duper grading program. I've got about half of the reports graded, once I finish that, I'll nearly be done with grades.

No comments: