Monday, October 04, 2004

My breaking point

Today was my breakdown. I cried three times. That one class, I have zero control over. It frustrates me so much. I know that it's a tough class (other teachers have problems with them too, so thank god it's not just me), but I also know that I bear the responsibility of not getting control.

So tomorrow I plan to begin executing my rules and consequences. Still figuring out what exactly those should be. My rules WERE "Respect" and "Be Prepared," but those are so vague that they need accompanying explanations. So those will still be the expectations, but I am going to make a clear list of rules that can actually be followed or broken. I think they will be: Listen when teacher or others are talking, Stay in your seat unless permitted/directed otherwise, Raise your hand to speak, and Bring homework and all materials to class each day. Then my consequences will be something like: name on board, check by name=note home, teacher-student conference and phone call home, parent-teacher-student conference, then a conference with the dean or something.

Good god, wish me luck. It's not that I can't do this, I just don't know how yet. I really must work on being a mean hard-ass. I wish I had a louder voice.

Okay, I have to go write charts and then sleep. Ha.

No comments: