Friday, November 09, 2007

Conflict Mode 5 of 5: Compromising

Compromising is moderate in both assertiveness and cooperativeness. The objective is to find some expedient, mutually acceptable solution that partially satisfies both parties. It falls intermediate between competing and accommodating. Compromising gives up more than competing but less than accommodating. Likewise, it addresses an issue more directly than avoiding, but does not explore it in as much depth as collaborating. In some situations, compromising might mean splitting the difference between the two positions, exchanging concessions, or seeking a quick middle-ground solution.

It's hard to agree to disagree. But sometimes that's all you can do. It's even more difficult sometimes to give something up, especially if it's a grudge (I'm a champion grudge holder). I don't like to do it, but most of the time I try to be a grown up and suck it up already.

For example, we have been having even more administrative nonsense the last couple days. It's something that should have been addressed weeks ago, to prevent everyone a shitload of work. It's actually not a ton of work for the teachers, but more for admin to deal with it. They asked us to change/update some information on report cards. I truly didn't mind, and I wasn't upset, because it took hardly any time at all.

However, some of it I completely disagree with, and my colleagues felt the same way--cond*ct marks should absolutely NOT be correlated to the academic grade. Sorry. So I didn't change mine. If they want to write me up or change it over my head, go for it. But I will stick up for that. I guess there's my competing side coming back up.

1 comment:

17 (really 15) more years said...

My feeling is, the kids' conduct will be reflected in the grade regardless, because if a kid is acting out that much, the academics have to suffer. It's very rare that you give a kid a "U" and a 95.

I had it out with a colleague yesterday- she's constantly griping about a NCLB kid we got this year, she gave her a U- and an 85 (in math, no less- she came to us as a level 1, 15 year old 8th grader). When I questioned it, she said that was what she earned (all her other grades were 65's).

OK, rant over.