Friday, November 02, 2007

Feeling panicked now that I'm *supposed* to post!

Yesterday was, of course, not only my birthday, but also the beginning of NaBloPoMo.

...And suddenly I can't think of anything to say.

So I'm 28 now. That sounds old. Nice even number in the definite late twenties, which sounds very grown up.

When my kids asked me yesterday how old I was, I just said, "Older than you, that's all you need to know." They giggled.

--

One of my best little boys gave me a card, one he made in Print Shop. The text reads, "Best wishes on your birthday. You deserve a special one." He added, "PS--Don't let kids bother you. Some of them are rodents!! :0"

Ha!

--

Today's warm up involved verb tense. They did sort of okay with the sentences I put up, but when I told them to try, it was much more difficult. So this one boy, who is sweet but a little goofy, was having trouble with his sentences. I kept coming around to check on him and redirect him. So when he finally got it right, and I told him good job, he exclaimed, "Yes! Thank you, Jesus!" I stopped and demanded, "Excuse me?! Did Jesus teach you that? Who taught you that?" He grinned and said, "Miss." "Ok, then."

Heh.

Oh, and I can't even tell you how many children wrote, "Yesterday we was happy." I said, "Excuse me?! Who says 'we was'? Tell me who and then send them to me!"
I'm so mean.

--

I don't think I've mentioned here the after school program I'm supervising. It's just a homework study hall; another teacher and I supervise and help out any kid who wants to come work on homework or projects. It's not fancy, but I think it's really important to have available. We've already got some regulars and I really like most of them. This one boy J saw a vocabulary worksheet that one of my kids was working on (shoot me now! vocabulary worksheets!!). J was really interested and was started to answer the questions. I told him he can't do someone else's homework, but I could give him his own. He said, "Ooh, yes please!" So I gave him the three my classes have already done, and he was really happy.

--

This afternoon, I passed a girl around ten or eleven who was walking down the street reading a book. Yes!

2 comments:

ms. v. said...

hey, do you have to get parental permission for the kids to stay, or can they come on a drop-in basis? it's always been my understanding that we can't do something like this for legal reasons...

17 (really 15) more years said...

I had the same question- I would love kids to be able to stay during the 37.5 if they need help with a day's lesson, or perhaps just need a few minutes individual instruction time. How did you guys pull this off?