Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Neener Neener

Tomorrow is Brooklyn-Queens Day, which means that all of us suckers that teach in the outer boroughs have this singular opportunity to gloat over our good fortune. Whee! A free day off for no real reason!! I love it.

My drama unit got off to a sticky start this morning with Class A. We were stuck in a different classroom, one that had no a/c. So we all sweated our way through the lesson. The only thing I have a class set of, in my entire classroom, is a little blue book called, "Plays to Enjoy." I had them read the introduction and answer a couple questions I'd prepared. Then we talked about the answers. That was reading workshop. Nice!

Writing workshop, I gave them terms and definitions for drama. Then I handed out a choral reading script of the Grasshopper and the Ants. It took some practice to attempt voices in unison, but they seemed to really enjoy it. Hell, who wouldn't? It's not really work! Whoever decided to do drama as the last unit of the year, I want to kiss them. It's genius!

With luck and the copies, they'll get to start planning their own play on Friday. I'll give them all next week to work on it, then perform the last full week of school. I can't wait to see how they do!

No comments: