Tuesday, December 20, 2005

...Stuff...

The nail in the coffin: Mr CuteTeacher is planning on proposing to his [real] girlfriend. Sigh.

--

You go, Transit Workers! I don't really know how to show that I support them, so I'll just say it. When I turned on the tv, some stupid reporter asked a picketing transit guy something like, "People are saying shame on you for doing this. What do you say to that?" The guy responded, "Hey, all the city has to do is give us a fair contract. It's not our fault; we deserve a good contract." Amen!

--

I swear that I saw on a news update that some transit bigwig said the strike would last at least til Thursday. Any other sightings or confirmations of this, or do we have to do this day-by-day thing?

--

I went to my school's big show last night (can't give more details than that). A bunch of my students performed in different ways, and it was very cool to see them. I congratulated them all either last night after the show or today at school. A couple quiet and studious girls really blew me away with their stage presence. Awesome.

--

At first, it seemed like a lot of our students were not here today...but only sorta. We are in a very residential neighborhood and area, so tons of kids walk or are driven. I actually said to them, "Why are so many of y'all here today? This is a free day!" One boy said, "It's boring at home!" So cute. They totally love school.

We'll see what happens tomorrow on a possible second day of strike. I wonder, more or fewer kids?

--

We actually had an altered schedule today, for the first time ever, when each period was still there, just shortened to accommodate the late start. As much as I like being lazy on the days when they just cut off the missed classes, it is nice to see all the classes. Though I had a "lesson" (really just the group work continuing from the lesson yesterday) ready for today, I was totally planning on doing other educational things. But people kept talking about "Fifteen days before the t@st" and "We are already behind" and "There's so much to do" blah blah that I had the kids actually do the work. But tomorrow I might deviate just a teeny bit: still do l!sten!ng compr@hension, but with either Cinderella or Rumplestilskin.

--

I got my first mail at my new place: one address-change confirmation from my RothIRA, and two notes from friends. Hurrah, friends! I'm actually saving them for when I snuggle in my nice bed with music and a book.

--

Mom's flight leaves in a few hours. Wish her a good flight and quiet neighbors. If the strike is continuing, I would be able to get her at the airport and bring her here instead of her taking a cab to the school until I have a prep. The traffic on the westward freeways will probably be a bitch, though, so I need to take that into consideration.

--

I have a project thingy for grad school due tomorrow, a literacy lesson plan. I finished writing the lesson this evening. However, there's a bunch of other crap to do as well, self evaluations and adaptations and all that nonsense. I figure I did the hard part already and I'll do the rest of it tomorrow night while Mom is resting or watching a movie or something. And of course there's an online final on Thursday...blech. CAN'T STAND semesters of college! Four goddamn months is too stinking long for one term. And ending the week of Christmas? I really miss UW and WWU, with their ten-week quarters and finals in early December. Much more reasonable, if you ask me. We only have three courses left to take, thank god.

--

We've got a few more teachers galvanized for the next game night. Did I ever mention the first one? It was Thanksgiving weekend, and only five of us. We played Uno and a monster game of Turbo Cranium. It was really fun and we were talking about it this morning. I think we have at least three or four more people for the next one, perhaps the weekend after the B!G SCARY T@ST! And guess what, it is hopefully going to be at my place! Since there's actually a living room/dining room with real furniture, as long as the roommate approves, everyone will come over here with snacks and alcohol and have a grand old-fashioned time.

No comments: