Saturday, November 27, 2004

The Obligatory "What I'm Thankful For" post. I keep adding things!

Other bloggers are doing it, and I'm starting to feel un-American and unimaginative. So I'm going to rack my brain to come up with something.

Things I am Grateful For, in no particular order:
-Living in a heated house.
-My parents, for talking to me, through tough days with kids, lack of social life, or just because.
-Ms F, the teacher center person, and my unofficial mentor.
-Not having entire classes made up of kids like Big D and "Trouble."
-Being able to laugh with some of my students and so far they still respect me.
-The fact that again it looks like I'm on the road to financial independence.
-These awesome, soft, though slightly ugly, cozy-ass, salmon-colored sweatpants.
-The fact that my old teammates still talk to me. :)
-Being able to see some of my old teammates. I hope to see the rest sometime in the not-too-distant future!
-The friendly folks in my Fellows class.
-The fact that I have survived in New York for five months already!

And a very special "I'm grateful for" goes out to those nice people who leave comments! Thank you! I so appreciate even the littlest acknowledgement or compliment. :)

What about teaching? I am not even sure how I feel about it. Is it something that I love to do? Do I hate it? I really don't know.

I'm pretty sure that I don't hate it. Though most days I can't wait for the end of the day. And sometimes I get really tired, frustrated, or irritated.

This year I don't think I will love it. But a colleague once said something about having passion for education. And you know, I think that I do still have that. I get caught up in the lessons and I am so excited when the students listen and appear to learn. I love the way that I can try to teach them new words, concepts and writing techniques. I LOVE it when they surprise me with good writing or a mature answer. So maybe I'm on my way.

No comments: