Sunday, March 27, 2005

Back to the grindstone...

Well, I got a lot done today. I've got this week and next week mostly planned. Not details or anything, but each day has a lesson at least. I got the homework all checked. I did a bunch of test prep stuff, too! Hurrah for me. I'm going to do test prep on Thursday reading and Friday all. I'll find a kind willing to sing in front of their peers so that we can sing our motivational test prep ditties. Ha.

This week I need to get a crapload of copies made, for the testing stuff. I'll give the office a shot, but it may be Staples for me. Also, is there a place I can go to get more TIME? There's simply not enough of it!

I watched the new doctor drama tonight, and at the end, the 'moving narrative' said, "They make it hard on purpose. There are lives in our hands."

That kinda got to me. It's cliche, but it's true, even though I'm not a doctor. I have the opportunity to teach my students something. Even if it's a little something like the history of 'goodbye,' the meaning of E Pluribus Unum, and the way to punctuate dialogue, they'll know something. Something that another teacher may not have been able to tell them. That's pretty powerful. It may not save a life right now, but I think I've helped a few kids turn the corner to being better, more motivated students. I hope I'm able to be at my school to watch them grow and mature, and cheer for them at their middle school graduation. That will be really great. This is my one and only first year teaching. These are my first students. So far I think I've done okay by them. (Oh man, they are gonna kick my ass tomorrow. Every time that I'm in a positive frame of mind about teaching and my classes, they knock me back into place. Hello, hubris, nice to see you again.)

I hope that the end of the year is more of that good teacher stuff, with more "a-ha" moments. I'm pretty sure I'll have to save that til next year, because it's way more likely the rest of this year will be all behavior management, once it stops snowing and raining all over the place.

It is really late. I am very sleepy. Goodnight, all. Here's to happy, quick Monday.

No comments: